Saturday, July 10, 2004

why you should pay attention to this blog

It's Paul here dressed in his brand new Blog and hot to become a force in the world of literature. I'm a bookseller, the buyer for Prairie Lights Book Store in Iowa City, Iowa, one of America's most literate communities and home of the World Famous University of Iowa Writers' Workshop--you've surely seen the name on matchbook covers and in Parade magazine. Prairie Lights is owned by the charismatic Jim Harris, who has kept his store and his grateful employees alive for more than a quarter century, and staffed by many of the best and most knowledgable book people you're likely to find anywhere. Jan Weissmiller stocks and discusses the most passionately kept poetry section in America, legendary pre-school teacher Carol Sokoloff, gentle queen of childrens' books, runs our extraordinary kids' section (complete with slightly dusty dinosauer) with the kind of care that only the deepest love and appreciation of children can foster with the help of Mary Taft, mom, reader, and editor of our childrens' book newsletter. Terry Cain can talk science fiction and graphic novels with anyone and is constantly bringing new and stranger books to his lovingly tended section. Artist Deb Zisko cares for our art section and our terrific cookbook area.
This said, I must state that this Blog is about me and my taste and what I think literate folks will not waste their time reading. It will be informed by my taste. Anyone I offend should respond to me and no one else at Prairie Lights. I'll talk about the books I love at irregular intervals as time permits.
Let the games begin!

2 Comments:

At July 16, 2004 at 12:38 PM, Blogger FLyn said...

Hey, Paul, Thank Ellie for giving me yr blog address. How cool. Lynne in Bellingham.

 
At July 18, 2004 at 11:51 AM, Blogger FLyn said...

So...be brave Paul... name some "chick lit". Anything Oprah likes? Jolly regards, lynne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home