Monday, August 30, 2004

non-fiction

I don't read much non-fiction but this genre contains some gorgeous books. Has anyone read Kabloona. It's in a lot of used bookstores because it was a best seller about 50 years ago. It's by Gontrin de Poncins the whole of which I believe to be his last name. He was a French nobleman--I don't know what else to call him. He had wealth beyond dreams in France and decided to go to Greenland and be with the Esquimaux. For spiritual reasons I guess. The Inuit are among the least like us of all the people on the planet and the Frenchman really got into them and the inhospitable land they inhabit. He took pictures, produced charming sketches, and wrote wonderful prose about living in the frigid north with natives and his inner life for companionship. He submitted his manuscript, was praised by critics, and had something of a bestseller going. I don't know if his checks were ever cashed because he disappeared and nothing was ever heard from him again. He may have fallen victim to inclement weather or he may have lived his life out in the peaceful north. He seems to have had friendly relations with the locals. I love books by people who disappear.

2 Comments:

At August 30, 2004 at 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i LOVE that you"love books by people who disappear"!

 
At January 27, 2006 at 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If You are Tired of NOT getting anywhere in Life. not being able to accomplish what it is out of life you want to. Ive been there and I still have my ups and downs in life but they don't seem to be the same downs, there are more ups in my life. I wrote a book on self improvement course . It is to the point on what you need to do to change your life. I wont make this real long.. If you need to make more money .. have a better relationship with someone or your just tired of the same old you.. then visit us at http://goals444.com and find out more about self improvement course

 

Post a Comment

<< Home