Sunday, December 26, 2004

pleasure

Read a good half of the nice new Modern Library edition of Truman Capote's magic first book, Other Voices, Other Rooms. "It is pure readin' pleasure from that little sissy boy."--Tex Ritter. Truly a remarkable novel, one of my favorites in openning up the possibilities of medium-fancy prose. I read it my Freshman year at UVA and it had such an impact on me. Reading it now it loses nothing. The very definition of Southern Gothic. Absolutely weird. Beautiful from the very first sentence. Published it at 23. Wrote it at 22? I think of Cocteau, Young, Gay brilliant yet produced nothing so perfect as OVOR. The Complete Stories is now available. I favor his early spookier stories over his sentimental little old lady stories, which I admit he does better than anyone. They just tend to wear thin on me. The early stories from Tree of Night are simply amazing. Take my word for it. A list of novel titles containing a punctuation mark. A Novel doesn't count.

Mister Nouse

2 Comments:

At February 20, 2005 at 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As right as right can be your so right Paul. It is as if words is your calling, Latin sentient master you are, the King of the Blogs without compare, may you continue to enlighten, and open so generously the purse of the soul.
Sincerely K

 
At November 13, 2005 at 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

holden caulfield quote

 

Post a Comment

<< Home